Proof of Relationship – Spousal Relationship Canada

How can I prove my relationship is genuine?  

To sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner to come to Canada, both parties should meet various requirements listed on Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website. One of the requirements is that you must show IRCC that the relationship between you and your partner is real and genuine, and the application is not entered for the purpose of immigrating to Canada in “bad faith.” Applications of this nature are illegal.

Our clients often ask: 

  • What are the proofs of relationship?
  • How to prove your relationship is genuine
  • How much information, evidence to provide?

Documents to provide as proof of your relationship

You can provide various documents to show that you and your partner have been in a real relationship, such as:

  • Texts exchanged
  • Email correspondence
  • Letters
  • Social media comments and interactions
  • Facebook conversations
  • Wedding invitations
  • letters from family members and friends regarding your relationship
  • Copies of leases
  • Gifts
  • Financial support
  • Life insurance policies
  • Copies of bank statements

Contact us to speak to one of our experienced immigration lawyers.

YA Law Corporation

504-938 Howe Street
Vancouver, BC V6Z 1N9
Tel: 604.620.9598 | Fax: 604.620.9597