Sponsoring Parents & Grandparents and Appeal- Canada 

Am I eligible to sponsor my parents/grandparents to Canada?

First, make sure you are eligible as a sponsor.

Under Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPA) 117 (1) (c) (d)

117 (1) A foreign national is a member of the family class if, with respect to a sponsor, the foreign national is:

  • (c) the sponsor’s mother or father;
  • (d) the mother or father of the sponsor’s mother or father;

Sponsor eligibility:

if you are at least 18 years old and a:

  • permanent resident of Canada or
  • Canadian citizen or
  • a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act. 


How much income do I need to sponsor my parents and grandparents?

You, the sponsor, must prove you have enough income to support all the people you are responsible for financially if you become a sponsor and including yourself.

If you do not meet the income threshold, your spouse or common-law partner can co-sign the sponsorship application. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) calculates the last three years of the sponsor’s income on line 150 of the sponsor Notice of Assessment (NOC) from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). However, the sponsor should subtract the following from income:

  • provincial payments for an instruction or training program such as student loans,
  • social assistance from a province (welfare)
  • payments from the Government of Canada under a resettlement assistance program (such as resettlement as a refugee)
  • regular Employment Insurance earnings (for 2018 and 2019 tax years) (EI)
  • Old Age Security payments

Do I need to stay in Canada when I have applied for my parents’ sponsorship application?

Residence of Canada:  The sponsor must reside in Canada from the time the application to sponsor is filed until the decision is ultimately rendered by the officer or on the appeal. The intent is that a sponsor resides in Canada during the whole sponsorship process to ensure that the reunification objective will be met at the end.

Parents Sponsorship Appeal:

We have helped our clients who did not meet the income requirement or residency requirement at the time of parents’ sponsorship.

We have helped their submission to the Immigration Appeal Division(IAD), and their matters have been settled through Alternative dispute resolution (ADR).

Contact to speak to our experienced Vancouver Immigration lawyers.


Sponsorship Application-Parents/Grandparents: CAD $5000 not including application fee or biometric

Appeal: CAD $12,000 only one issue (residency, or income, or parents medical issue)

YA Law Corporation

504-938 Howe Street
Vancouver, BC V6Z 1N9
Tel: 604.620.9598 | Fax: 604.620.9597
Email: info@yalaw.ca