Express Entry – Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

What is CEC?

Can I apply for a Permanent Resident visa – Canada under the CEC?

The process for filing an application under the CEC involves three steps.

1. An applicant makes an expression of interest by completing an online form.

2. The applicant may be invited to file an application.

3. The applicant may make a formal application for a permanent resident visa under the CEC.

Under subsection 12(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA), a foreign national may be selected as a member of an economic class based on their ability to become economically established in Canada. One such economic class is the Canadian Experience Class, defined in subsection 87.1

The Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) contain criteria for eligibility in the CEC. Paragraph 87.1(2)(a) provides, in the relevant part, that a foreign national is a member of the CEC “if they have acquired in Canada, within the three years before the date on which their application for permanent residence is made, at least one year of full-time work experience.

How can I make sure that I receive an invitation under Express Entry?

To receive an invitation, an applicant must submit an expression of interest, a pre-screening tool that determines if a foreign national meets the minimum eligibility criteria in one of the economic categories ( Federal skill worker, Canadian experience class, or trades). At this stage, the information is not verified by an officer. Once an expression of interest is accepted, the candidate is entered into the Express Entry pool.

The system then assigns the candidate a score called the Comprehensive Ranking System – CRS, which determines the points awarded and allows each candidate to be ranked. A candidate must meet the requirements for at least one of the classes in order to receive an invitation. Once selected based on eligibility and the CRS ranking, a candidate may receive an invitation to apply.

After a candidate receives an invitation, the individual must submit an application for a permanent resident visa – Canada, along with supporting documents, within a time specified by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada – IRCC. 

Contact to speak to Vancouver Immigration lawyer at 604-620-9598

YA Law Corporation

504-938 Howe Street
Vancouver, BC V6Z 1N9
Tel: 604.620.9598 | Fax: 604.620.9597