Canada- work permit- LMIA exemption

Work permit- Canada: The Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document issued by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) that allows Canadian employers to hire foreign workers for certain job positions when no Canadian citizens or permanent residents are available to fill those roles. However, there are specific situations where a foreign worker may be exempt from obtaining an LMIA to work in Canada.

Some common categories of LMIA-exempt work permits include:

  1. NAFTA/Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA) Work Permit: Certain professionals from the United States or Mexico can work in Canada under the provisions of CUSMA without an LMIA.
  2. Intra-Company Transferees: Employees of a foreign company who are being transferred to a Canadian branch, subsidiary, or parent company can be eligible for an LMIA-exempt work permit.
  3. International Mobility Program (IMP) Work Permits: Various categories, such as International Experience Canada (IEC) participants, Spousal Open Work Permits, and Post-Graduation Work Permits (PGWP) for recent graduates from Canadian institutions, may be eligible for LMIA exemptions.
  4. Global Talent Stream: This stream of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program offers LMIA exemptions to certain highly-skilled workers with unique expertise in specific occupations.
  5. Significant Benefit to Canada: Individuals with unique skills or talents who can demonstrate that their work in Canada will provide a significant social, cultural, or economic benefit to the country may be eligible for an LMIA exemption.

Please note that immigration laws and policies of Canada are subject to change, and new exemptions or modifications may be introduced after our update. It’s essential to check with the official website of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or consult a qualified immigration attorney for the most up-to-date information on LMIA exemptions and work permits in Canada.

Contact us to speak with our experienced Vancouver Immigration lawyer at YA Law Corporation.

YA Law Corporation

504-938 Howe Street
Vancouver, BC V6Z 1N9
Tel: 604.620.9598 | Fax: 604.620.9597