Establishing Domicile in the USA When Applying for a Green Card

What is domicile?

“Domicile” refers to your country of permanent residence. It can be where you currently live or where you intend to live for the long term.

Proof of domicile for USA citizens living abroad and sponsoring family members:

As a USA citizen residing outside the country but wishing to petition for a spouse, fiancé, parents, children, or other family members, you likely encounter requests for proof of domicile from the National Visa Center (NVC), consulate, or embassy. Despite not residing in the USA, you must establish a domicile in the USA to sponsor a family member for a Green Card.

You are not living in the USA. How can you establish a domicile in the USA when you have not been living there?

Establishing U.S. Domicile:

When sponsoring a spouse or family member for a Green Card, you must demonstrate that the United States is your permanent home. If you live abroad, you must show significant ties to the U.S. or intend to re-establish domicile. In some cases, working for specific U.S. organizations while abroad may help fulfill domicile requirements.

Why do I need to prove U.S. Domicile? If you are sponsoring a family member to the USA for a Green Card, you must have a domicile in the United States of America.

How can I prove U.S. Domicile?

Even if you and your spouse reside outside the U.S., you can still meet the domicile requirement if you can demonstrate:

a. You temporarily reside overseas, with your primary domicile in the U.S.

b. You are employed by specific organizations.

c. You plan to return to the U.S. and establish domicile either before or upon arrival with the sponsored family member.

As the sponsor, you must provide proof of domicile to the National Visa Center (NVC) or present it during your interview at the U.S. Consulate or embassy.

How to prove domicile in the USA:

Some examples of acceptable proof you can include:

Evidence of property.

  • Evidence of property.
  • Tax records for federal, state or local taxes.
  • A banking or investment account in the United States.
  • Evidence of a permanent mailing address.
  • A voting record in the United States.

Contact us to speak with our Vancouver Immigration Lawyer. We can assist you in establishing your domicile in the USA and provide the necessary proof.

YA Law Corporation

504-938 Howe Street
Vancouver, BC V6Z 1N9
Tel: 604.620.9598 | Fax: 604.620.9597