L Intracompany Transferee Visa – USA

An L intracompany transferee visa is a non-immigrant visa category in the United States specifically designed for employees of multinational companies who are being transferred to a U.S. branch, parent, affiliate, or subsidiary of the same employer. This visa allows companies to transfer key employees from their foreign operations to the United States temporarily. The employer must file a Form I-129, Petition for a non-Immigrant worker, with the fee, on behalf of the employee.

Types of L Intracompany Transferee- There are two types of L visas: L-1A and L-1B:

  1. L-1A visa is for managers and executives who are being transferred to the United States. Managers direct the company or a department, supervise and control the work of other supervisory, professional, or managerial employees, and have the authority to make personnel decisions. Executives have the authority to establish goals and policies, exercise wide latitude in decision-making, and receive only general supervision or direction from higher-level executives, the board of directors, or stockholders.
  2. L-1B visa is for employees with specialized knowledge. These individuals possess special knowledge of the company’s products, services, research, equipment, techniques, management, or other interests and their application in international markets.

L-1A Intracompany Transferee Executive or Manager:

The L-1A non-immigrant classification enables a foreign company to send an executive or manager to the United States which has a qualifying existence corporate relationship and is affiliated with a U.S. office.   

Who is qualified to apply for an L1A Intracompany Transferee USA visa?

Eligibility Criteria: To qualify for an L1A visa, both the petitioner (the U.S. employer) and the beneficiary (the employee being transferred) must meet certain eligibility criteria. The employer must have a qualifying relationship with a foreign company, such as being a branch, parent, affiliate, or subsidiary. The employee must have worked for the foreign company for at least one continuous year out of the last three years.

To qualify, the named employee must also:

  • Generally have been working for a qualifying organization abroad for one continuous year within the three years immediately preceding his or her admission to the United States; and
  • Be seeking to enter the United States to provide service in an executive or managerial capacity for a branch of the same employer or one of its qualifying organizations.

How long is the L1A Intracompany Transferee USA Visa valid for?

Validity Period: The initial period of stay granted under an L visa is generally up to three years, with extensions possible for up to a maximum of seven years for L-1A visa holders.

How long is the L1B Intracompany Transferee USA visa valid?

The initial period of stay granted under an L visa is generally up to three years, with extensions possible for up to a maximum of five years for L-1B visa holders.

Does applying for an L Visa lead to a Green Card?

Dual Intent: L visa holders are allowed to have dual intent, meaning they can pursue permanent residency (a green card) while in the United States on an L visa.

Can L visa holder’s spouse and children accompany the L visa holder?

Spouse and Dependents: Spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 of L visa holders are eligible for L-2 visas, which allow them to accompany the primary visa holder to the United States. L-2 visa holders are also eligible for work authorization in the United States.

How long is the validity of the visas for spouses and children of an L visa holder?

Spouses and children may seek admission in the L-2 non-immigrant classification and, if approved, generally will be granted the same period of stay as the employee.

Overall, the L intercompany transferee visa serves as an important tool for multinational companies to transfer key personnel to the United States, facilitating the efficient operation of their U.S. branches, subsidiaries, and affiliates while providing opportunities for skilled foreign workers to contribute to the U.S. economy.

Our Fees:

Fee for one L visa: $7,000 excluding filing fees.

Fee for a high volume of L visas (3 or more for companies): $1000 each, excluding filing fees.

*All fees are in Canadian dollars.

*The fee is not for new offices.

Contact to speak to our USA Immigration attorney.

YA Law Corporation

504-938 Howe Street
Vancouver, BC V6Z 1N9
Tel: 604.620.9598 | Fax: 604.620.9597
Email: info@yalaw.ca