USA Visitor Visa (B1/B2)

USA Visitor Visa: Generally, individuals who wish to enter the United States and are not from visa-exempt countries, for a visit or business must first obtain a non-immigrant visa for a temporary stay in the USA. Canadian citizens do not require a visa to enter the United States to engage in permitted B-1/B-2 activities.

What is the difference between a B1/B2 visa?

Business – B1 visa: is a non-immigrant visa for persons who want to enter the United States temporarily for business.

  • Settle an estate
  • Negotiate a contract
  • Consult with business associates
  • Attend a professional, scientific, educational, or business convention or conference

Tourism- B2 visa: is a non-immigrant visa for persons who want to enter the United States temporarily for tourism.

  • Tourism
  • Visit with friends or families
  • Medical treatment
  • Participation in social events hosted by social, or service organizations
  • Participation by amateurs in musicals, sports, or similar events or contests, if not being paid for participating
  • Enrollment in a short recreational course of study, not for credit toward a degree (For example, a two-day baking class)

How to apply for a USA visitor Visa?

Applying for a visa involves several steps, with the order and process varying depending on the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Please refer to the specific instructions provided on the respective embassy or consulate website.

  1. Complete the Online Visa Application:
    • Fill out the Online Non-immigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160. Ensure you:
      • Complete the application online.
      • Print the confirmation page of the application form to bring to your interview.
    • Upload a photo that meets the format requirements while completing Form DS-160.
  2. Schedule an Interview:
    • Visa interviews are generally mandatory for applicants, with exceptions based on age:
      • Applicants under 14 years old do not need to appear for an interview.
    • Schedule your visa interview appointment at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence. While you may choose another location, note that qualifying for a visa outside your country of residence might be more challenging.
    • Due to variations in location, season, and visa category, apply for your visa well in advance. Check the interview wait time for your chosen location.
  3. Prepare for Your Interview:
    • Pay the non-refundable visa application fee before your interview. If applicable, you may also need to pay a visa issuance fee based on your nationality.
    • Review fee details on the embassy or consulate website where you’ll apply.
  4. Gather Required Documentation:
    • Before your interview, gather the necessary documents:
      • A valid passport for travel to the United States, valid for at least six months.
      • Confirmation page of the Non-immigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160.
      • Receipt of application fee payment, if required before the interview.
      • If the photo upload fails during DS-160 completion, bring a printed photo meeting specified requirements.
  5. Additional Documentation:
    • Refer to the instructions on the embassy or consulate website for potential additional documents needed for your application.
    • Additional documents may include evidence related to the purpose of your trip, your intention to depart the U.S. after your visit, and financial capability to cover trip expenses.
    • Evidence of employment or family ties can support your trip purpose and intent to return home.
    • A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support isn’t mandatory for a visitor visa application.

To make your application stronger, contact our USA Vancouver Immigration attorney at YA Law Corporation.

YA Law Corporation

504-938 Howe Street
Vancouver, BC V6Z 1N9
Tel: 604.620.9598 | Fax: 604.620.9597