Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union- Sponsorship Canada

What is the statutory declaration of common-law union in Canada for the purpose of immigration?

According to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), couples must have lived together continuously for one year to establish a common-law relationship for family class sponsorship applications or any other application submitted to IRCC.

In Canada, a statutory declaration of a common-law union is a legal document that serves as evidence of a common-law relationship. By submitting this declaration, you and your partner affirm that you have been living together continuously for at least one year in a committed relationship, akin to marriage but without a formal marriage certificate.

A statutory declaration of a common-law union is a legal document confirming a common-law relationship between two individuals. Common-law unions, also referred to as de facto relationships, are partnerships in which couples live together and present themselves as married without being legally married.

The purpose of a statutory declaration of common-law union can vary depending on the jurisdiction, but it’s often used for legal matters where proof of the relationship is required, such as for immigration purposes.

The declaration typically includes information such as the names and addresses of the individuals involved, the duration of the relationship, and a statement affirming that they have been living together in a conjugal relationship for a certain period.

The main concerns when completing this form are:

  1. Have you jointly signed a residential lease, mortgage, or purchase agreement relating to a residence in which both of you live? Yes NO
  2. Do you jointly own property other than your residence? Yes NO
  3. Do you have joint bank, trust, credit union, or charge card accounts? Yes NO
  4. Have you declared your common-law union under the Canadian Income Tax Act?
  5. Do you have life insurance on yourself that names your common-law partner as the beneficiary?
  6. Does your common-law partner have life insurance on themselves that names you as the beneficiary?

Additionally, the form asks about the length of time you have been living together in a committed relationship continuously for a certain number of years.

Contact to speak to a Vancouver Immigration lawyer if you want to sponsor your partner or spouse.

YA Law Corporation

504-938 Howe Street
Vancouver, BC V6Z 1N9
Tel: 604.620.9598 | Fax: 604.620.9597