Visas for Fiancé(e)s of U.S. Citizens- K1 visa

The K-1 visa, also known as the fiancé(e) visa, is for the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen. Here’s a detailed breakdown of its costs, processing time, requirements, marriage timeline, and visa validity provided by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).


  1. Form I-129F Filing Fee: $535 (this is the petition for Alien Fiancé(e))
  2. Medical Examination: $200-$500 (varies by country and provider)
  3. USCIS Immigrant Fee: $220 (paid after visa issuance but before entering the U.S.)
  4. Visa Application Fee (DS-160): $265
  5. Other Costs: These can include costs for obtaining required documents, translations, travel to the U.S. embassy or consulate for an interview, etc.

Processing Time:

The processing time for a K-1 visa can vary, but generally:

  1. USCIS Processing: Approximately 5-7 months to process Form I-129F.
  2. National Visa Center (NVC) and Consulate Processing: Another 1-2 months.
  3. Total Time: Typically, 7-10 months from the initial petition to the visa issuance.


  1. Petitioner (U.S. Citizen) Requirements:
    • Must be a U.S. citizen.
    • Must be legally free to marry and intend to marry within 90 days of the fiancé(e) entering the U.S.
    • Must have met the fiancé(e) in person at least once within the two years before filing the petition (some exceptions apply).
  2. Beneficiary (Foreign-Citizen Fiancé(e)) Requirements:
    • Must be legally free to marry and intend to marry within 90 days of entering the U.S.
    • Must pass a medical examination.
    • Must attend a visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate.

When Should Marry After Entering the USA:

  • Within 90 Days: You must marry your U.S. citizen petitioner within 90 days of entering the United States on the K-1 visa.

How Long the Visa is Valid:

  • Validity: The K-1 visa is a single-entry visa valid for six months from the date of issuance. However, once you enter the U.S., the 90-day countdown starts within which you must marry.

Post-Marriage Steps:

  • Adjustment of Status: After marrying within the 90-day period, you need to apply for adjustment of status (Form I-485) to become a lawful permanent resident (Green Card holder).

Additional Information:

  • Employment: You can apply for employment authorization (EAD) using Form I-765 after entering the U.S. and even concurrently with your adjustment of status application.
  • Travel: Until you receive your Green Card or a travel document (Advance Parole), international travel is not recommended as it might affect your adjustment of status application.


The filling fees (USA $) are constantly changing by USCS and the fees on this page might not reflect the accurate cost for filling fees.

Our fee not including filling fees is $4000 Canadian.

Understanding these steps and adhering to the requirements and timelines is crucial for a smooth K-1 visa process. Contact us to speak with our experienced USA Immigration attorney at YA Law Corporation.

YA Law Corporation

504-938 Howe Street
Vancouver, BC V6Z 1N9
Tel: 604.620.9598 | Fax: 604.620.9597