What does a cross-border Immigration lawyer do?

A cross-border immigration lawyer specializes in navigating the legal processes and regulations involved in immigration matters between two countries, often focusing on Canada and the United States. Here’s what they typically do:

  1. Visa Applications and Extensions:
    • Assist individuals and businesses in applying for various types of visas, such as work visas, student visas, and visitor visas.
    • Help with extending or changing the status of existing visas.
  2. Work Permits:
    • Advise and assist with obtaining work permits for employees relocating across borders.
    • Handle applications for intra-company transfers and other employment-based immigration matters.
  3. Permanent Residency and Green Cards:
    • Guide clients through the process of applying for permanent residency in Canada or a Green Card in the US.
    • Assist with family-based and employment-based immigration petitions.
  4. Citizenship and Naturalization:
    • Help clients apply for citizenship in either country.
    • Provide legal advice on dual citizenship issues and the requirements for naturalization.
  5. Compliance and Legal Advice:
    • Ensure that businesses comply with immigration laws and regulations.
    • Offer legal advice on cross-border employment, including the movement of talent and workforce planning.
  6. Border Issues:
    • Handle issues related to border entry and exit, including denials of entry and customs violations.
    • Advise on legal rights and obligations at border crossings.
  7. Family Sponsorships:
    • Assist with sponsoring family members for immigration.
    • Handle applications for spousal, child, and parent sponsorship.
  8. Deportation and Removal Defense:
    • Represent clients facing deportation or removal proceedings.
    • Provide legal strategies to appeal or prevent deportation.
  9. Business and Investor Immigration:
    • Help entrepreneurs and investors navigate the immigration process to start or invest in businesses across borders.
    • Advise on visa options for business expansion and international trade.
  10. Legal Representation:
    • Represent clients in immigration hearings and appeals.
    • Advocate on behalf of clients in front of immigration authorities and courts.
  11. Cross-Border Travel:
    • Provide advice on frequent travel between the two countries.
    • Help resolve issues related to travel bans, restrictions, and travel authorizations.

By offering these services, cross-border immigration lawyers help individuals and businesses overcome legal challenges associated with moving or operating across international borders, ensuring compliance with immigration laws and facilitating smooth transitions. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (IRCC), Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and other government agencies’ policies and law changes daily thus it is helpful to seek an immigration attorney’s help.

Our firm provides a select range of the above-mentioned services. Contact us to speak with a cross-border immigration lawyer at YA Law Corporation in downtown Vancouver, British Columbia.

YA Law Corporation

504-938 Howe Street
Vancouver, BC V6Z 1N9
Tel: 604.620.9598 | Fax: 604.620.9597
Email: info@yalaw.ca