TN NAFTA Professionals – Work permit

TN (Mexican & Canadian citizens)

The TN nonimmigrant visa category, created by the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), authorizes Canadian and Mexican professionals to work temporarily in the United States.

Canadian Citizens and Mexican can apply anytime under TN as long as they meet the eligibility requirements.

And this category does not have an annual quota limitation unlike some other programs like H1.

An employer will petition for the eligible employee. The eligible candidates for a TN status in the USA must have a job offer and the occupations should be on NAFTA Professional List. 

Validity of work permit:

The eligible Candidate can be admitted for a period of up to three (3) years.

Can I work as a holder of a TN work permit for several employers?

Can I quit my current position and work for another employer under the same TN work permit?

No, a TN work permit is issued for one employer and if you need to change your employment then you need to apply for another TN.

Dependent of non-immigrant TN holder:

Can my spouse apply for a work permit under TN? No, the spouses and children under 21 years old of the TN work permit holder may travel to the U.S. under TD (TN Dependent) statutes. However, they are not entitled to work based on their status.

Can my children study at school if I have a TN work permit?

–       Not permitted to work while in the United States, but they are permitted to study.

Validity of TN:

The TN work permit is temporary and valid for up to three years.

And TD status for dependent of a TN holder is granted for a period not longer than the period of time granted to the principal TN nonimmigrant.

TN- Non-Immigrant Status:

TN holder works in the USA temporary.

Contact to speak to our USA immigration attorneys located in Vancouver and Port Moody, British Columbia close to the borders. They have extensive experience since they have gone through the same process themselves and they know the process well.  Call us at 604-620-9598 or email us at to schedule a consultation with our experienced immigration lawyer. 

YA Law Corporation

504-938 Howe Street
Vancouver, BC V6Z 1N9
Tel: 604.620.9598 | Fax: 604.620.9597